I am an Associate Professor of Computer Information Systems at Colorado State University. My research focuses on understanding whether, when, and how information technology affects value creation within and across organizations. A certified Project Management Professional (PMP), I teach undergraduate and graduate courses in IT project management. I received my Ph.D. from Clemson University. I live in Fort Collins, where I enjoy exploring the Rocky Mountains with my beautiful wife, son, daughter, and Jeep Wrangler.
CIS 320 - Project Management for Information Systems
CIS 600 - Information Technology and Project Management
Google Scholar Profile
- Roberts, N., Qahri-Saremi, H., and Vijayasarathy, L. (forthcoming) “Understanding IT Value at the Managerial Level: Managerial Ambidexterity, Seizing Opportunities, and the Moderating Role of Information Systems Use,” The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems.
- Chen, A., and Roberts, N. (forthcoming) "Connecting Personality Traits to Social Networking Site Addiction: The Mediating Role of Motives," Information Technology & People.
- Roberts, N., and Gerow, J. (2020) "Connecting the Role of the Information Technology Function to its Contribution to the Organization," Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 30(2), 150-168.
- Butler, C., Roberts, N., and Vijayasarathy, L. (2020) "Managing Software Development Projects for Success: Aligning Plan- and Agility-Based Approaches to Project Complexity and Project Dynamism," Project Management Journal, 51(3), 262-277.
- Campbell, D., and Roberts, N. (2019) "Effective Use of Analytic DSS and Job Performance," Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 29(2), 125-138.
- Huangfu, L., Hayne, S., Ma, J., and Roberts, N. (2018) "Factor Analysis of Out-of-Hospital Days Based on Cancer Patients in China," Pacific Asia Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 10(4), 101-114.
- Roberts, N., and Dinger, M. (2018) "Virtual Customer Environment Design and Organizational Innovation: An Exploration-Exploitation Perspective," Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 18(1), 58-73.
- Wright, R., Roberts, N., and Wilson, D. (2017) “The Role of Context in IT Assimilation: A Multi-Method Study of a SaaS Platform in the US Nonprofit Sector,” European Journal of Information Systems, 26(5), 509-539.
- Roberts, N., Gerow, J., Jeyaraj, A., and Roberts, S. (2017) “A Meta-Analysis of Organizational Learning and IT Assimilation,” forthcoming in The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, 48(4), 51-68.
- Keen, S., and Roberts, N. (2017) “Preliminary Evidence for the Use and Efficacy of Mobile Health Applications in Managing Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms,” Health Systems, 6(2), 122-129.
- Roberts, N., Campbell, D., and Vijayasarathy, L. (2016) “Using Information Systems to Sense Opportunities for Innovation: Integrating Post-Adoptive IS Use Behaviors with the Dynamic Managerial Capability Perspective,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 33(1), 45-69.
- Roberts, N., Mellott, M., Dinger, M., and Campbell, D. (2016) “Electronic Medical Record System Avoidance in a Turbulent Environment,” Information & Management, 53(5), 581-590.
- Roberts, N., and Dinger, M. (2016) “The Impact of Virtual Customer Community Interactivity on Organizational Innovation: An Absorptive Capacity Perspective,” IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 59(2), 110-125.
- Roberts, N. (2015) “Absorptive Capacity, Organizational Antecedents, and Environmental Dynamism,” Journal of Business Research, 68(11), 2426-2433.
- Duan, C., Grover, V., Roberts, N., and Balakrishnan, J. (2014) “Firm Valuation Effects of the Decision to Adopt Relationally Governed Business Process Outsourcing Arrangements,” International Journal of Production Research, 52(15), 4673-4694.
- Mellott, M., Thatcher, J., and Roberts, N. (2013) “Electronic Medical Record Compliance and Continuity in Delivery of Care: An Empirical Investigation in a Combat Environment,” Health Systems, 2(3), 147-161.
- Roberts, N., Galluch, P., Dinger, M., and Grover, V. (2012) “Absorptive Capacity and Information Systems Research: Review, Synthesis, and Directions for Future Research,” MIS Quarterly, 36(2), 625-648.
- Roberts, N., and Grover, V. (2012) “Leveraging IT Infrastructure to Facilitate Competitive Activity via Customer Agility: An Empirical Investigation,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 28(4), 231-269.
- Roberts, N., and Grover, V. (2012) “Investigating Firm’s Customer Agility and Firm Performance: The Importance of Aligning Sense and Respond Capabilities,” Journal of Business Research, 65(5), 579-585.
- Polites, G., Roberts, N., and Thatcher, J. (2012) “Conceptualizing Models Using Multidimensional Constructs: A Review and Guidelines for their Use,” European Journal of Information Systems, 21(1), 22-48.
- Wright, R., Campbell, D., Thatcher, J., and Roberts, N. (2012) “Operationalizing Multidimensional Constructs in Structural Equation Modeling: Recommendations for IS Research,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 30(1), 367-412.
- Mellott, M., Thatcher, J., Roberts, N., and Carter, M. (2012) “An Examination of the Role of Military Medical Chief Information Officer,” Military Medicine, 177(7), 850-855.
- Thatcher, J., McKnight, H., Arsal, R., Baker, E., and Roberts, N. (2011) “The Role of Trust in Post-Adoption IT Exploration: An Empirical Examination of Knowledge Management Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 58(1), 56-70.
- Mellott, M., Thatcher, J., and Roberts, N. (2011) “An Examination of the Deployed Inpatient Electronic Medical Record,” The AAMA (American Academy of Medical Administrators) Executive Online, September/October.
- Gerow, J., Grover, V., Roberts, N., and Thatcher, J. (2010) “The Diffusion of Second Generation Statistical Techniques in Information Systems Research from 1990-2008,” Journal of Information Technology Theory and Application, 11(4), 5-28.
- Bhatt, G., Emdad, A., Roberts, N., and Grover, V. (2010) “Building and Leveraging Information in Dynamic Markets: The Role of IT Infrastructure Flexibility as Enabler of Organizational Responsiveness and Competitive Advantage,” Information & Management, 47(7-8), 341-349.
- Roberts, N., Thatcher, J., and Grover, V. (2010) “Advancing Operations Management Theory Using Exploratory Structural Equation Modelling Techniques,” International Journal of Production Research, 48(15), 4329-4353.
- Roberts, N., and Thatcher, J. (2009) “Conceptualizing and Testing Formative Constructs: Tutorial and Annotated Example,” The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, 40(3), 9-39.